Monday, January 9, 2012

Steadily working away

I always think I'm going to sew/work faster than I do. Does that happen to you?


My dad was nice enough to bring me some Starbucks coffee yesterday morning, and I had a Panera bagel, and I was up much earlier than I might be on a Sunday. So I sat down at my machine and I said to myself. "You're going to make your Schoolhouse Tunic today." And I worked.

And it took me much longer than I had assumed. Yes, it's my first time both working from a pattern and also making clothing. But I'd read the pattern about 5 times, and its only 10 steps!


I was actually pretty pleased with my progress, and then after about an hour and a half [of almost problem-free sewing!] my machine started to get...ahem...an attitude. I was trying to top stitch the placket in the bodice, and after ripping out the stitches about 6 or 7 times due to tension and tangling issues that could not be fixed, I said "No more!" and walked away before I got even more frustrated.


I am absolutely tickled that it actually looks like the top of a shirt. It's exhilarating to know that I'mmaking  something that I can wear [even if its more expensive and time consuming than just buying a shirt].

While I had planned to sew more on the shirt later in the evening [and finish it, and then link up to Sew Modern Monday with Megan...go anyways and check out everyone else!] I got totally and absolutely immersed in The Girl Who Played with Fire, which is the book after The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I stayed up until 5 am because I could.not.put.it.down. If you're looking for some books to read, these are phenomenal.

And then today I've been working on my item for the Tangerine Tango challenge!


I know how these two items are going to go together in my challenge piece, but I've been very vague about it on Flickr, because I'm pretty excited about my idea. Nobody has posted any sewing yet, just fabric choices, as the contest runs until March 2. I'm hoping that if people were having some roadblocks about working with an orange [which many people have professed is not their go-to color] then they'll feel inspired when they look at these, as they try and figure out what I'm up to :)



Happy Monday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. The tunic is looking great.
    I hope to make a couple of pieces of clothing this year as well . x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on flickr. Looks super intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

Messages from friends :)